Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Practical techniques for English Language Teachers



My Reflection
Training on ‘Practical Techniques of Teaching English’
 I was excited to attend the workshop on ‘Practical Techniques of Teaching English’ with the expectation that I will definitely learn something new for the classes. I was curious too, in order to find out innovative practical techniques of teaching English.
Our training on 19th June, 2015 started with the KWL Chart on graphic organizers. Frankly speaking, before we start the session I had no idea on what graphic organizers are however I wanted to know the implication of graphic organizers in the real classroom.
When I got the concept of graphic organizers that are the visual ways to portray and organize information, I remembered that in a way or other either for teaching or learning I have used graphic organizers.  Some of the examples of graphic organizers are presented graphically below:
T- Charts
Timeline
M-chart
Grid
Pie-chart
Graphs
Tree diagram
Flow or sequence chart
Clusters
Venn diagram
Bubbles
Tables
The discussion on the importance on graphic organizations helped me to gain ideas that graphic organizers isolate the important information, activates students’ schema and is also helpful for need assessment.  One of the examples of graphic organizer is presented below:
http://handytips4you.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/0/3/

Usefulness of graphic organizers in teaching English
Graphic organizers are useful in various ways. They are useful to teach literature. For instance; if we want our students to write about the book they have read, we can use the following types of graphic organizers; 
http://cdn.tristro.net/catalog/911/full/9780545162746.jpg 
Similarly, if we want our learners to write about the main characters of the plot we can use the following graphic organizers:
http://mdillon.weebly.com/uploads/8/5/6/7/8567115/scan0016.jpg
Graphic organizers in teaching reading
Graphic organizers are very helpful in teaching reading. They help readers to organize and find patterns in large amounts that further help readers to comprehend the text. Similarly, graphic organizers help learners to motivate towards reading as it helps to comprehend the text better.  Thus, graphic organizers are useful for pre- during and post stage of reading comprehension.
Pre reading graphic
An example of while reading graphic organizers is presented below:

movement_postcolonial.gif
Similarly, we can use the following graphic organizers for post reading activities:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-
As the discussion was going on ‘graphic organizers, the game entitled, ‘Find Someone Who’ made us refreshed. A template of the game is presented below:

Graphic organizers in teaching listening
Graphic organizers are useful even in teaching listening. One example of teaching listening is presented below:
 .bp.blogspot.com
Graphic organizers for teaching grammar
Teaching grammar is considered as the most difficult part of teaching English language however, graphic organizers can create fun and interest even in grammar classes. One of the examples of graphic organizers in teaching grammar is presented below:
http://rganizer-for-the-rules/original-412722-1.jpg
Graphic organizers for teaching vocabulary
Vocabulary teaching will be effective if we use graphic organizers. For instance:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/16/5b/9
Thus, graphic organizers help students to generate, identify, and organize details as well as to determine main idea and draw conclusion as it is helpful to teach listening, speaking, reading, writing , grammar and vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment